In the doctrines of Buddhist and Hindu origin, the syllable “OM” is considered sacred, since it represents the sound generated in the creation of the Universe, the original manifestation of Life. By including OM in the execution of Bhramari breathing, the practitioner connects with the force of sound (produced internally), broadening perception and facilitating entry into the meditative state.
Focusing on the buzz, generated during the bee’s breath, decreases mental noise (confusion) and allows the individual to relax, relieving the aftermath of negative emotions and feelings (stress, anxiety, depression, anger).
In general, bee breathing can be performed by anyone, except for patients with ear infections (otitis). The exercise should always be performed in a sitting position, and without forcing the lung capacity.
Bhramari Pranayama Breathing Technique
As you already know that Bhramari means bee and pranayama mean breathing.
The bee’s humming breath is a practice that leads to the internalization of the senses.
With our hands we isolate the senses from the outside, leading the mind to a state of silence, observation, and peace.
We live in a world exposed to constant external stimuli, for this reason, this pranayama is an excellent means to stop rumination and observe the sounds of our interior.
How to do Bhramari pranayama with step by step:
1. Practice sitting:– Choose any sitting position that is comfortable for you, such as the Easy Posture, Sukhasana, the Perfect Posture, Sidhasana, the Half Lotus Posture, Ardha Padmasana or the Full Lotus Posture, Padmasana ; Or, sit on a chair. You can also sit on your heels, with your knees bent and gathered in front of you. Close your eyelids and relax for a few moments.
2. Correct the Hand Position:- Rest the elbows on the knees and plug the ears with the tips of the index fingers, introducing the tips in the holes of these, until you notice that they are tightly covered. The fingers are collected and relaxed in the palm of the hand. If you have long nails, it will be better than pressures with the thumbs on the swallow (prominence of the ear, in front of the ear canal). If you opt for this second option, the fingers of the hand close the eyelids, but without putting any pressure on them.
3. Aware of the breath:- Let the spine stretch and the heart center feel open without the chest rising artificially. Maintain a good degree of relaxation in the shoulders, neck and face throughout the practice. Close your eyes and bring the attention inwards, to the belly, the heart, the throat and finally the head. Inspire little by little, to a comfortable fullness. When you breathe it slowly and gently through the nose, emitting a buzz that is born on the palate and is similar to that made by bees.
4. Focus on the Sound:- The mouth always remains closed and the teeth slightly separated. It emits the hum during the whole exhalation, trying to be uniform, and with a moderate volume. You may want to experiment with different tones until you find one that you like; Once achieved do not alter it, keep it as long as you can. The expiration will last approximately thirty seconds. Direct your attention to the buzz. Stay focused on the sound, feeling the vibration it produces inside the head, in the brain. Observe the vibration on the face, throat, chest and the rest of the body.
5. Do it calmly and slowly:- As the expiration will now have lengthened considerably, it is important to inspire without haste. Do not rush to the next expiration; on the contrary, take your time to slowly fill the lungs with air.
6. Relax:- After exhaling, when you are finished, sit quietly. Keep your eyes closed. You will notice that the sensations of the sound vibration continue in your body for a long time. Do not move a single muscle; The quieter you are, the greater your power of observation.
- Benefits and side effects of Bhramari pranayama
- Learn about Ujjayi Pranayama
I hope you guys understand very well how to do Bhramari pranayama. If you have any doubts then let me know in the comment section. Stay healthy stay fit