” Yoga is known to cause health and happiness!” This quote explains how important yoga and yoga asanas are for developing a healthy and fit body and a happy and peaceful mind. There are several types of yoga asanas or yoga poses that have their special benefits on us. Sarvangasana is one of the best.
Sarvangasana or shoulder support is one of the yoga asanas practiced by followers for its incredible health benefits. In this current article, we will talk about the stand of the Shoulder or Sarvangasana, where we will know what exactly the position of the shoulder means, how to make Sarvangasana and its various health benefits.
What is Sarvangasana or Shoulder Support?
The shoulder position is also known as Sarvangasana (in Sanskrit) which comes from the Sanskrit word, “Sarva” which represents “Everything.” This is a yoga posture or yoga asana that helps strengthen our entire body and provides us with huge health benefits. Not only does it help us to be fit from the outside, but it also helps strengthen all the parts and mind of our inner body. This asana is also referred to as the “pose of all the members” because in doing the yoga movement, all our body parts participate in it. Although all parts of the body are delivered while doing the training or Sarvangasana, it is called “Shoulder Support” because in doing so, all of your body weight rests on the upper outer edges of the shoulders.
How to make Sarvangasana?
Steps to do shoulder support asana
- Lie on your back on the floor on a mat.
- Slowly raise your leg to the sky so that the angle of your body is 90 degrees.
- Now, slowly, try to lift the lower part and mid-ground height, so that the entire weight of your body rests on the shoulders and the upper back. You can support your back or try to lift your back as much as possible with both hands
- Now point your heels up and lift your toes so toward the ceiling that it looks like you’re going to step on the roof. Keep your sternum pressed towards the chin. Feel the hardening of your neck muscles at this point, although you should take a break in case of tension pain here. Stay in this position for at least 30 seconds. Take a deep breath in this posture.
- Slowly lower your knees and legs, rest your hands on your back and keep your palm on the floor, without raising your head slowly lower your spine, slowly lower your legs to the floor and relax for at least a minute.
Tips to Remember during Sarvangasana
- Keep in mind that you must keep your entire body straight while doing the shoulder or Sarvangasana position
- Consider abdominal breathing
- Be aware of staying balanced
- There should be a focus on the neck, shoulder, throat and also the abdomen while doing the shoulder or Sarvangasana position.
- Make sure women avoid shoulder position during menstruation and pregnancy
- Avoid Sarvangasana if you have sleep disc and enlarged spleen issues
- Try to avoid performing the shoulder or Sarvangasana position if you have high blood pressure, heart disease or brain diseases or better consult your doctor or yoga expert to find out if it is safe for you to do this exercise.
Shoulder support Tips for beginners
- You can use a blanket under the neck and shoulders for support
- You can lean on the wall if you find it difficult to lift your body, legs or knees
- The knees may bend at first while lifting the body and then slowly rising when they adjust to the posture.
Benefits of Sarvangasana
- Shoulder support or Sarvangasana helps nourish the brain by supplying more blood
- Relaxes constipation and indigestion
- Shoulder position helps stretch the heart muscles by supplying more venous blood to the heart
- Sarvangasana reduces insomnia, anxiety, etc.
- The position of the shoulder or Sarvangasana helps calm the nerves
- The function of the thyroid and parathyroid glands is normalized.
- Shoulder support or Sarvangasana stimulates the thymus gland that helps improve the immune system
- Because of its effect on the thyroid, Sarvangasana can help control body weight.
- Shoulder or Sarvangasana position helps increase lung capacity
- In women, it improves the functioning of the ovaries
- Uterine ligaments in women are balanced when doing Sarvangasana
- Relax your mood and keep it calm
- In addition to all these benefits, shoulder position also helps relieve cough, cold, asthma and headache as well.
I hope you enjoy this Sarvangasana or Shoulder support yoga posture. Every time I do it I feel more aware of my body, I focus on the points of support, I feel the mat and the earth under my hands and feet. Is awesome!
Do you like and enjoy this posture as much as I do? Share your opinions by leaving a comment below. And if you think it could benefit another person close to you, post this article on Facebook, Whatsapp or Twitter. Thank you!