Yoga for Sciatica pain. Sciatica is one of those painful conditions in which you may not even feel like getting up from the couch. Sciatica is the largest nerve in the body that originates in the spinal cord and travels to the tips of the feet.
If the nerve is irritated or compressed in its place of origin, or anywhere near the point of origin, it causes sciatic pain. Other causes of sciatica include disc herniation and piriformis syndrome.
Top 5 Yoga for sciatica pain
The treatment options for sciatica are physiotherapy heat/ice packs, acupuncture steroid epidural injections surgery and yoga massage therapy.
Of all the treatment options available to patients, except yoga and surgery, all others primarily seek symptomatic relief and no permanent cure. Surgical treatments also require more healing and investment time. Therefore, the most convenient and convenient option for patients is Yoga.
Yoga has no side effects and has the power to cure all body ailments. Basic yogic asanas can easily help strengthen back and nerve muscles and relieve sciatic-induced pain.
The 5 yoga poses listed below may be useful for relieving sciatic pain.
#1: Reclined toe posture to relieve the pain of sciatica:
This yoga posture for sciatica is also known as Supta Padangusthasana. To practice this yoga pose:
- Simply lie on the flat surface and place an elastic strap around the ball of your right foot, stretch it.
- Lift your right leg toward the ceiling while holding the strap with your hand.
- Keep your foot flexed while keeping your buttocks pressed against the floor and keep it in the same position for 10 breaths.
- Then, slowly lower the right leg by bending the right knee to the chest and then placing the leg on the floor.
- Repeat on the left side.
Use: This yoga posture for sciatica consists mainly of stretching of calves, hamstrings, hips, and groin that helps the healing of sciatic pain and increases the strength of the knees.
# 2: Staff attitude or Dandasana for sciatica pain
The staff poses yoga or Dandasana is a basic yoga posture sitting with the spine upright. Follow the steps below to take advantage of the benefits of this yoga posture to relieve the pain of sciatica:
- Sit on a flat surface, so that the legs are stretched and the palms touch the ground on the sides of the body.
- Give a good stretch of the feet by flexing the feet back.
- Sit in an erect posture with the spine completely upright.
- Beginners can opt for some cushions under the buttocks to avoid pain.
sitting yoga posture for sciatica strengthens the back muscles and improves body posture.
# 3: King Pigeon Pose or Raja Kapotasana
King Pigeon Pose or Raja Kapotasana is the strongest yoga posture to practice stretching. Do it as follows:
- Start by placing your hands and knees on the floor or from the “dog looking down” posture.
- Then, slowly bring your right knee forward and place your right foot in line with your left hip.
- Then, release your left foot and slide it back and bring the upper part of your body forward. The toes should be pressing on the mat when reaching this posture.
- Hold in the same position for a few seconds.
- Repeat the same with the left side.
- You can also take the help of a board to support yourself.
Use: The King Pigeon yoga posture is the strongest stretching practice and helps provide sciatica pain relief. This is not an easy posture and requires a regular yoga practice.
# 4: Standing Twist Posture
- It is an easy but definitely rewarding yoga posture to relieve the pain of sciatica.
- Start by placing a chair or dice against the wall.
- Stand straight so that your right hip is next to the wall, and you are facing the chair.
- Place your right foot on the chair keeping the knee in a bent state.
- Your left leg should be straight and now press the wall with your right hand to maintain balance.
- Now, slowly lift the heel of your left foot and turn your body toward the wall using your hand to support yourself.
- Keep your heel low and keep turning for a few seconds.
- Return to a normal standing posture, relax. Now repeat the same for the left leg.
Use: The permanent spinning yoga pose for sciatica improves the flexibility of the spine and improves the muscle tone of the arms and legs.
# 5: Cow Face Pose (Gomukhasana)
- Cow’s Face Yoga Pose or Gomukhasana is a stretching posture for the spine with multiple benefits and can also help relieve the pain of sciatica.
- Sit on a flat surface and extend your legs forward as in the staff pose.
- Now bend the right knee by placing the right leg on the left leg so that the right foot rests on the left leg.
- Slowly place the right foot in line with the outer hip of the left foot.
- Move the left foot opposite the midline, so that it is slightly positioned diagonally to the body.
- Place the right hand on the floor and hold the right foot with the other hand.
- Keep the spine straight and hold it for a few seconds.
- Repeat the same for the other side.
Use: The Cow Face or Gomukhasana Yoga Pose for sciatica stretches the hips, thighs, and ankles and helps induce relaxation.
- Amazing yoga benefits of Vajrasans for improving digestion
- 5 common misconceptions that stop you from doing yoga?
Sciatica is one of those painful conditions that can impair the routine activities of an individual and make him dependent, therefore the treatment is preliminary in the earliest stages to avoid worsening the condition. Yoga can help restore the life of patients with sciatica to normal.