Yoga to control hypertension. Human life has become very hectic today due to the busy and erratic schedules of today’s life. Because of this, a person cannot concentrate on their health, which affects the normal functioning of the body. This hectic pace of life also affects the body’s blood pressure, resulting in hypertension.
Yoga can be very beneficial to control hypertension; Especially yoga breathing techniques are very effective in controlling hypertension. Yoga asanas not only provide help to control blood pressure but also help control the mind and make a person feel energized at all times.
Blood pressure in the body is the force applied by blood against the walls of blood vessels. Hypertension occurs when this blood pressure rises to more than 140/90 mmHg. This shows that the pressure becomes 140 mmHg when the heart pumps blood throughout the body and reaches 90 mm Hg when the heart relaxes and is filling with blood.
The main causes of hypertension are, ultimately, lifestyle change, stress; and also a diet rich in salt is one of the main factors of this disease.
How does yoga help control hypertension or reduce blood pressure?
Yoga asanas that are performed routinely make the body fit and well. By performing yoga regularly, the body becomes resistant to disease and remains free from daily stress. The body always stays healthier and fresher. Each person benefits from yoga asanas if they take the proper training and follow the proper yoga routine. Similarly, yoga helps control or even prevent hypertension. Some of the main benefits and ways in which yoga helps reduce high blood pressure are:
- Doing yoga regularly helps control blood pressure by maintaining proper heart function.
- Yoga helps relieve symptoms of depression and also reduces anxiety, which indirectly prevents blood pressure from swelling.
- Yoga strengthens the mind and gives you positive energy to stay active, keep your body healthy and reduce your blood pressure.
- There are yoga asanas, which improve immunity and concentration and help control blood pressure.
- Yoga is also beneficial for controlling anger, which is one of the main reasons for the sudden increase in blood pressure.
- Finally, yoga reduces the problem of strokes and heart attacks, which are the result of hypertension.
5 Yoga poses to control hypertension (reduce blood pressure)
Asanas reduce high blood pressure greatly and maintain the proper functioning of the heart. The best five Asanas to reduce blood pressure are the following:
#1. Adho Mukha Svanasana (dog pose looking down) with stand
In this yoga asana, the posture resembles a dog that leans forward, so this name has been assigned. This yoga asana can be performed by anyone and of any age and is one of the best asanas to reduce high blood pressure.
Steps to perform
- Take the body to your four legs.
- Breathe in such a way that your hips lift and keep your knees and elbows straight.
- Keep your hands apart and make your toes point straight.
- Press your hands on the floor and touch your ears towards the inner arms.
- Now take a deep breath and look at your belly button.
- Exhale the air, bend your knees and relax.
Benefits of Admissions
- This yoga asana makes the body feel energetic and rejuvenates it, which helps control hypertension.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana strengthens body parts such as arms, legs, feet, etc.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana also strengthens the chest muscles, increasing the capacity of the lungs and controls high blood pressure.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana also helps shape the muscles.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana keeps the mind fresh and calm, which also helps reduce high blood pressure.
#2. Uttana Tadasana or palm posture to reduce high blood pressure
In this yoga asana, the posture becomes stable like the palm tree, so it is called uttana tadasana. This is one of the best asanas to reduce and control high blood pressure.
Steps to perform Uttana Tadasana
- Lie on your back.
- Join the feet so that the fingers touch.
- Put the palms on the sides of the body.
- Take a deep breath and raise your hands over your head.
- Stretch your fingers down.
- Stretch the body completely and then inhale and exhale repeatedly.
Benefits of Uttana Tadasana or Palm Tree Pose
- The Uttana Tadasana yoga posture develops a sense of balance in the body, which in turn helps to reduce and control high blood pressure.
- The organs and muscles are placed in a proper posture with the help of the Uttana Tadasana yoga posture.
- The Uttana Tadasana yoga pose also increases children’s height.
- Due to the stretching of the entire body, the spinal cord is loosened with the help of the Uttana Tadasana yoga posture.
- Uttana Tadasana yoga asana increases the power of concentration.
#3. Trikonasana (Triangular Posture)
The final yoga posture to control and reduce high blood pressure looks like a triangle, so it has been given this name, triangular posture.
Steps to perform the triangular posture for blood pressure control
- First, stand straight and keep a distance of 3 feet between both legs.
- Extend your arms parallel to the floor and then inhale.
- Now, bend your right arm to the left side and exhale.
- Now repeat the same with the left arm and perform three to four rounds.
Benefits of Trikonasana or triangular posture
- The nerves of the spine acquire a good shape with the help of Trikonasana or triangular posture that help in the control of blood pressure.
- This yoga asana loosens the muscles and make the joints more flexible. Extend your arms and then inhale.
- Trikonasana or triangular posture also reduces additional body fat, which in turn helps reduce hypertension.
#4. Virabhadrasana (warrior pose) to reduce high blood pressure
This yoga pose is dedicated to Mr. Shiva and, therefore, is named after one of his songs veer bhadra.
Steps to perform Virabhadrasana (Warrior Pose)
- Stand straight with your legs aligned to your feet.
- Inhale and then exhale, step forward with your right leg and bend your right knee. Keep your left leg straight.
- Again inhale and raise your arms above your head.
- Stretch your fingers to the sky. Repeat the same thing twice.
Benefits of Virabhadrasana (Warrior Pose)
- Yoga asana increases breast size.
- Virabhadrasana (Warrior Pose) strengthens the shoulders.
- Virabhadrasana (warrior’s attitude) reduces fat and, therefore, helps reduce blood pressure.
#5. Bhujangasana for the control of hypertension
This yoga pose resembles a cobra and so is the name of the asana.
Steps to perform Bhujangasana
- Lie on your stomach with your fingers touching each other.
- Keep your hands on the front of the shoulder and lift the trunk.
- Move your neck back like a cobra and breathe.
- Release the posture after a minute or two and repeat again.
Benefits of Bhujangasana
- Bhujangasana yoga posture increases flexibility in the spinal cord.
- Bhujangasana yoga pose helps overcome asthma.
- Bhujangasana yoga pose increases renal function and thus reduces blood pressure.
The correct and regular practice of yoga asanas helps reduce high blood pressure (hypertension). However, check with your doctor if you can start practicing yoga and consult a yoga specialist before starting these yoga asanas to learn the correct way to do them to get the most benefit for your health.